History of Education in Alexander
The people of Alexander have provided education for their children in an organized fashion since 1822. This education was within one-room schools from 1822 until 1957. For the next 30 years, all students attended a consolidated school at the corner of Cooper Road and Arm Road.
Then, in 1987, the Alexander Elementary School was built on Route 9. A few years later, additional classroom and library space was added. Today, the Alexander Elementary School still serves the communities of Alexander, Cooper, and Crawford for grades PreK-8.
In 2010, Alexander joined Alternative Organizational Structure (AOS) 77, a school district that encompasses the eastern and coastal Washington County towns of Alexander, Baring, Charlotte, Crawford, Dennysville, Eastport, Lubec, Pembroke, and Perry. Prior to this, Alexander was part of School Union 106 which included Alexander, Baring, Calais, Crawford and Robbinston.
For more information on the history of education in the town of Alexander click here.
To access the town of Alexander's website click here.